Grumman / Navy Groundwater Contamination Plume
Toxic volatile organic chemicals TCE and PCE, among others, are traveling in a southerly direction from the Navy / Grumman site towards the supply wells from which the District draws its water. The site was once the location where Navy and Grumman manufactured war planes using these volatile chemicals. These chemicals have contaminated our sole source aquifer and forced neighboring districts to install wellhead treatment systems to meet today’s drinking water standards. The position of the Massapequa Water District is clear. The plume must be stopped and prevented from entering our supply well fields. This position has been opposed by the Navy, Grumman, and the NY State DEC from the very beginning of this process for at least 20 years. The District is emphatic that the only alternative is remediation in combination with hydraulically preventing the plume from traveling further south.
Recently, the District has made some progress with the NYSDEC in considering the containment of the plume related chemicals. The Massapequa Water District routinely attends meetings with Grumman and Navy officials, the NYSDEC, NYS Department of Health, as well as elected officials to continue to fight for the protection of our clean water source.
- MWD Letter to Commissioner Seggos NYSDEC – Feb. 7, 2018
- MWD Letter to Department of the Navy??Re: Reimbursement for Response Costs – June 22, 2017
- DEC Correspondence to Grumman – March 17, 2016
- Navy-NG CSIA Response – Jan. 27, 2016
- Letter to Navy and Grumman regarding Northrop Grumman and Naval Weapons Industrial Reserve Plant (NWIRP) – Nov. 4, 2015
- Letter to Jim Harington NYSDEC- July 22, 2015
- Letter to Doug Garbarini EPA – Feb. 5, 2015
- Letter to Peter Scully – Dec. 12-17, 2014
- Letter from George Pavlou EPA to S. Carey – Dec. 5, 2014
- Letter from Robert Schick NYSDEC to Ed Hannon – Nov. 21, 2014
- Letter from Rep King to EPA Navy Re: Bethpage Plume 4 – Nov. 12, 2014
- Capture Zone Comments – May 12, 2014
- Letter to Gov. Cuomo – June 25, 2014
- PUBLIC COMMENT SUBMISSION Operable Unit #3
Massapequa Water District Comments for the Proposed Remedial Action Plan (PRAP) FOR THE Northrop Grumman Facility.
- Joint letter PRAP OU-3 to Steven Scharf NYSDEC – July 24, 2012
- Gov. Cuomo Response to Public – July 3, 2012
- Senator Schumer’s letter to Commissioner Martens
- Congressman Peter King Letter to NYSDEC/EPA/NAVY – July 31, 2012
- Joint letter state Senators Fuschillo, Hannon